Post #3 - Inspiration


There were two inputs in my life that spurred me toward this trip and I feel a desire to explain.



The route Dad explored the western US when he was in his early 20's

First, I grew up the son of a father that loved the great outdoors, traveling, big game hunting and exploration.  When Joe Lane was in his early 20’s, he and a close friend departed West Texas by automobile and explored the western US for nearly a month.
Deer hunt outside of Montrose, CO
They headed north with the Canadian boarder in their sights, as they had dreamed for years to experience Banff and Lake Louis.  Then they looped back around through California and home.  Growing up with those stories and seeing the pictures created a lasting and hazy vision, living inside of me.  My father passed years ago, but I could only imagine how happy and proud he would be of Audra and I. 

Charlie and Ewan

Second are the insanely popular video series, Long Way Round and Long Way Down, of Ewan McGregor and Charley Bormann riding their motorbikes around the globe and from Scotland to the tip of Africa.  Year after year I watch those episodes through the winter and dream of my own adventures that I will be attempting.  …..A shot-out and thank you to Ewan and Charley for their work and willingness to share their experiences with the rest of us.   But mostly, “thank you Mom, Dad and Audra for allowing me to be adventurous, giving my spirit a chance to soar.”

Little brother Jim on the front, brother Clay and me on the back....got me started on bikes!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great story and details. Love the early photo on the Kawasaki. We have friends in Alpine, and a son and daughter-in-law in Woodland Park. I did the Alaska trip in 2004 on a 2004 GS-A. Only problem besides horrible suspension was the oil pressure sensor failed in Montana!
    Here's hoping you get to Alaska in the next year.
    See you on the road!

    ReplyDelete