Post #11 - And we are off....


As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I had connected with Dr. Greg Frazier (Writings) in the weeks leading up to our departure.  Doc, as I call him, mentioned that he needed to ride from his Denver pad to his property up in Montana and suggested we do a few miles together.  Never missing an opportunity to ride with Doc, Audra was quick to agree.  Audra and I departed home and rode north through Parker to Morrison, where we met up with him.  


Promptly wanting to escape the blistering heat of Denver, we rushed away, pointing west for elevations above 10k and cooler temps.  That effort was quickly dashed, when we encountered stop and go traffic on Interstate 70 about 5 miles from Eisenhower Tunnel.  But excitement brewing with our departure, we kept a smile on our faces and joked about the challenge.  Finally the miles started to roll by and we peeled off the Continental Divide, exiting I70 and filling up with gas in Silverthorne.  


Doc's KLR was impressive, seeming to have no trouble keeping up with our 1200GS, despite hauling a Weed Eater and a Chain Saw, on top of heavily loaded boxes. Our first dose of dirt presented itself with a couple miles of road construction on the way to Steamboat Springs.  Both bikes, despite the heavy load, performed with ease and I could sense the Harley riders we met were incredibly envious.  At an intersection close to Rabbit Ears pass, we parted ways with Doc.  Audra and I had about 90 more minutes of riding to complete our first day and arrive in Craig, CO.

2 comments:

  1. Great reading so far. We will live vicariously through you. You're my age and giving me something to think about. I've always admired the tales I've read of long motorcycle trips. Most were either younger folks who haven't yet started their careers, or more "seasoned" riders so to speak. At any rate, you have me thinking about just doing it. To snag a Nike tag line. Best of luck on the trip. Having your bride along makes it all the more special.

    ReplyDelete